Sunday 29 June 2014

My Mum

I visit my mum every Saturday afternoon, my brother Don also comes around at the same time. We spend a few hours together chatting, the topics are many and varied. In the photo below is my mother, my brother Don and my sister Sharon who has passed away. Yesterday my mum was telling us how difficult it was for her and my dad when we were kids. This photo was taken about 1951, my sister Sharon was born in October 1950. How cute is Don standing there with his hands in his pockets. Both my parents are very talented, and I am sure this made life a little easier for them. Mum loves to sew and sewed a lot of our clothes when we were growing up. My mum was telling us about the clothes she made for us when we were kids. A lot of the dresses that my sisters and I wore and the shirts that my brothers wore were made from the fabric that my mother got for free from the grocer. Bags that held bulk poultry feed were made of fabric that was colourful and quite suitable for making clothes, the grocers would give away these bags  to any of the ladies that wanted them once all the feed was sold. Now days my mother spend her spare time sewing quilts, she finds more intricate sewing too difficult with her failing vision. She has sewn a quilt for all of her great grandchildren, fifteen in total!  My dad was an excellent handyman and could pretty much fix anything around the house. He also enjoyed photography and as a young man, developed all of his photos himself, he took this photo. It is amazing how things have changed in the past 60 odd years.  Just thinking of the advances in photography alone is amazing. Who would have ever thought in 1951 there would come a day when you could take photos without needing film.

No comments:

Post a Comment